Type: Non-Exempt Salaried
Embarcadero Media seeks an Associate Digital Editor to accelerate our company's growth and expand the online reach of our digital news products, The Six Fifty and Peninsula Foodist. Embarcadero Media is a local news company serving Silicon Valley and the East Bay with a four-decade track record of producing award-winning coverage of the communities we serve via publications such as the Palo Alto Weekly.
The Associate Digital Editor will concentrate on executing three of Embarcadero's most important strategic goals: directing Embarcadero's food and dining coverage via the Peninsula Foodist publication and newsletter, enhancing our narrative journalism by producing enterprise features for use in The Six Fifty and other publications we own and helping evolve and expand The Six Fifty and Foodist as well as other digital products we plan to launch by developing expertise in digital editing, publishing, audience engagement and promotion.
The Associate Digital Editor will report directly to the Digital Editor and will split his/her time between the Foodist and feature/enterprise writing and editing duties, though a hybrid role like this requires flexibility from both the employee and employer. The Associate Digital Editor will collaborate with teams across Embarcadero including technology, marketing and sales as well as our community newsrooms to grow our audience, content and enhance our internal processes to become a nimbler digital-first publisher.
Some aspects of this role are likely to evolve as conditions change but general responsibilities are as follows:
- Oversee the Peninsula Foodist blog and newsletter, developing and growing our reporting on the diverse dining and food scene on the Peninsula.
- Write 2-3 short food-related articles per week for the Six Fifty/Foodist blog.
- Write the biweekly Peninsula Foodist newsletter and engage with subscribers through digital channels.
- Produce 1-2 in-depth feature stories per month and shorter content for The Six Fifty as opportunities arise.
- Assist with the Six Fifty newsletter and social media accounts.
- Assist in the editing/management of freelancers and interns.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a passion for modern digital journalism.
- Prove capable in developing a thorough local beat related to the 6-5-0 food scene.
- Regularly generate new story ideas.
- Be organized, comfortable juggling multiple tasks on deadline and able to work well among individuals, teams and external partners.
- Value our journalism and the role Embarcadero plays in the local community.
- Work independently with minimal daily oversight.
Submit a CV, cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate and 3-4 clips that are representative of your abilities to Charles Russo.